Thank you all again for your patience as we have worked to implement and test the new system. The process ended up being pretty lengthy in part because we had to ask the developer to implement some significant new features.
Thank you, also, to our beta test group: @Daniel Krueger, @firstname.lastname@example.org, @Shalom Wertsberger, @Matthew Eslami, @Mary Ludwig, @Louis Hoffman, @Jonah Probell, @Jennifer Bales, and @Jeanette Meng Nakagawa.
We very much welcome your feedback and ideas for improvements--even and especially to these instructions. Please feel free to comment here and let us know what you think, and about any bugs we need to fix.
Delivery Schedule. The email digest is sent out every 24 hours at approximately midnight United States Central time.
Versions of the New Email Digest. There are two versions of the email digest available by the end of the weekend (by February 17).
- NAPP Enhanced Digest (Full): This version includes a table of contents, and the full text of every message in the last 24 hours. It is closest in appearance and function to the previous Yahoo Groups system.
- NAPP Enhanced Digest (Compact): This version includes everything from the Full version, except the Table of Contents.
Our beta testers were pretty much evenly divided in whether or not the TOC should be included, so both options are offered.
Activating the New Email Digest. Once logged in to the forum, do the following:
- At the top right of the screen, click on your name and then click on Account Settings in the popup menu.
- On the leftmost column of the Settings page, click on Newsletters.
- Toggle the selector to place a green checkmark on the version of the Digest you want: NAPP Enhanced Digest (Full) or NAPP Enhanced Digest (Compact).
- Make sure HTML is selected as the format. There is presently a bug that impacts the reliability of sending digest emails when Plain Text is selected. At this time, selecting Plain Text may prevent you from receiving any messages. We are working on this with the developer and will post an update when it is resolved. HTML messages are working without issue.
- Click Save.
Deactivating the Existing Digest. Activating the new digest will not automatically deactivate the forum-level digest that new users currently receive by default.
To deactivate the old forum-level digest:
- Go to Manage Your Followed Content
- Select "Forum" on the leftmost column, under the Forums heading.
- Next to each forum listed, use the Change Preference dropdown menu to select delivery options. (Note: Selecting Immediate Notification will just send a red notification bubble to the Bell icon at the top of the screen, instead of sending an email. I recommend doing this if you will be using the new digest system to cut down on duplicate emails.
- This is also a good time to check your Default Notification Settings to make sure they are set up like you want them, especially with regards to content you automatically follow--you may currently be set up to automatically get additional emails for content you automatically follow, which might not be what you want after you set up the new digest system.